Inspiring Quotes from “Have a little faith” by Mitch Albom:
About happiness
The things society tells us we must have to be happy – a new this or that, a bigger house, a better job, I know the falsity of it. I have counseled many people who have all these things, and I can tell you they are not happy because of them.
The families who fought and argues all the time, when they had money and health. Having more does not keep you from wanting more. And if you always want more – to be richer, more beautiful, more well known – you are missing the bigger picture, and I can tell you from experience, happiness will never come.
Learning “less is more”. I should try to live my life in that way, at least in this year. It’s rather difficult to live in a simple life in Hong Kong, as there are full of different temptations around you. Only when you understand “less is more”, you know what really matters to you most.
About marriage and commitment
That kind of love – the kind you realize you already have by the life you’ve created together – that’s the kind that lasts.
Remember, the only difference between ‘marital’ and ‘martial’ is where you put the ‘I’.
I think people expect too much from marriage today. They expect perfection. Every moment should be bliss. That’s TV or movies. But that is not the human experience. Like Sarah says, twenty good minutes here, forty good minutes there, it adds up to something beautiful. The trick is when things aren’t so great, you don’t junk the whole thing. It’s okay to have an argument. It’s okay that the other one nudges you a little, bothers you a little. It’s part of being close to someone. But the joy you get from that same closeness – when you watch your children, when you wake up and smile at each other – that, as our tradition teaches us, is a blessing. People forget that.
Because the word ‘commitment’ has lost its meaning. I’m old enough to remember when it used to be a positive. A committed person was someone to be admired. He was loyal and steady. Now a commitment is something you avoid. You don’t want to tie yourself down.
It’s the same with faith, by the way. We don’t want to get stuck having to go to services all the time, or having to follow all the rules. We don’t want to commit to God. We’ll take Him when we need Him, or when things are going good. But real commitment? That requires staying power – in faith and in marriage.
And if you don’t commit? Your choice. But you miss what’s on the other side…… a happiness you cannot find alone.
2 comments:
這是從哪本書來的,是Tuesdays嗎? 怎麼沒有記憶似的呢, 不是吧? 是哪一本呢? 好想睇~
The book is "Have a little faith", the latest publish from Mitch Albom. It's not that new actually, I borrow from it from Matthew:P haha~
Post a Comment